Found this post via The Gospel Coalition. I agree –
10 Ways to Encourage a Missionary
In an effort to learn how we can best encourage missionaries, I emailed some and asked how they would most like to be served and encouraged. This list is drawn from their responses, including many direct quotes.
1. Pray for them and let them know that you are doing so frequently.
2. Send “real mail.”
3. Pray for the people the missionaries serve and not only for the missionaries and their families.
4. Recruit others to pray for the missionary’s area of service (city, people group, etc.) or for the missionaries themselves.
5. Go visit them with the purpose of serving and encouraging them in their work.
6. Send them updates and pictures of you and your family (by mail or email).
7. Ask questions about their work.
8. Continue to be a Christian friend and continue to minister to them.
9. Support them financially.
10. Seek to encourage them when they are on stateside assignment.
Read the entire post (with explanations of each point) here. Thanks for all your encouragement – we need it and appreciate it!