I’m just digging into Tullian Tchividjian‘s latest book, Jesus + Nothing = Everything. Coming out of a dark and difficult season of ministry, Tchividjian experienced anew the power and freedom of the gospel. I loved this quote, and need reminded of it daily!
Rediscovering the gospel enabled me to see that:
- because Jesus was strong for me, I was free to be weak;
- because Jesus won for me, I was free to lose;
- because Jesus was someone, I was free to be no one;
- because Jesus was extraordinary, I was free to be ordinary
- because Jesus succeeded for me, I was free to fail.
This began to define my life anew in bring and liberating ways.
The truth of the gospel is just this simple: Jesus has already accomplished everything that I need to please God. My identity is found in Jesus. Therefore, I’m freed from the tyranny of people-pleasing; my acceptance is not tied to my performance; my hope does not rest in my own strength. Sweet freedom! Thank you, Jesus!